History

The Salvation Army Peterborough Temple was founded on April 11th, 1885.

Captain Esther Mills was the first officer at the corps in 1885. 

In 1888 the corps moved to its present day home at the corner of Aylmer and Simcoe Street.

On January 10th, 1923 the church building was burnt down. Only the original walls were still standing to aid the rebuilding of the church. The Citizens of Peterborough, with a population of approximately 23 000, rallied money and time. The Church was rebuilt in only 10 months. The re-opening took place on November 10, 1923.

There has been 84 commanding officers since The Salvation Army Peterborough's inception in 1885.

In April, 2010, The Salvation Army Peterborough Celebrated its 125th anniversary of serving the Peterborough Community...

Related History Website Links

Salvation Army Peterborough Band History - Click Here

The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre - Click Here